making our life special
Many English speaking people visiting our country for the first time often find Australian English surprisingly different. For example Aussies tend to shorten words in ways that leave visitors lost: a politician is a polly,
university is uni and Christmas is Chrissie.
So if you're visiting our country, keep this in mind and you'll be able to guess what we're saying.
Slang Phrases >> Page 1 Page 2 Page 3
- Meaning: go now, get lost.
Example: Nick off you're bothering me.
- Meaning: don't worry about it, everything is fine (same as "no worries")
Example: No dramas mate. It will work out
- Meaning: don't worry about it, everything is fine (Australian Attitude)
Example: No worries mate. It will work out
- Meaning: how are you?
Example: Ow-yar-goin mate?
- Meaning: you are on your own, alone.
Example: If you do that you are on pat malone.
- Meaning: that's wrong, or incorrect.
Example: Pigs bum, you're not smarter than me.
- Meaning: messing around, wasting time.
Example: Stop playing sillybuggers and finish your homework.
Pull ya head in
- Meaning: I don't want to listen to you so shut up.
Example: Pull ya head in, you don't know what you're talking about.
Put a snag on the barbie
- Meaning: a sausage cooked on a barbeque. That's what real Aussies cook.
Example: Come on over and we'll put a few snags on the barbie.
- Meaning: leave, you're not wanted here.
Example: Rack off, you idiot.
- Meaning: mild insult calling someone a rascal
Example: Where you been you old ratbag!
- Meaning: true or genuine article
Example: Ridgie didge! It's true, it really is gold.
She'll be apples!
- Meaning: everything will be all right; giving someone assurance
Example: No worries mate. She'll be apples!
Shut ya gob
- Meaning: be quiet.
Example: Aw shut ya gob or I'll hit you.
- Meaning: surprised, bewildered, uncomprehending. You're said to look like a stunned mullet
when you have no idea what's going on or what they're talking about.
Example: When she said no, he looked like a stunned mullet.
Take an early mark
- Meaning: leave early from whatever you're doing
Example: they took an early mark from work
and are headed to the pub
Taking a sickie
- Meaning: taking time off work when not really sick
Example: I am taking a sickie and going fishing.
- Meaning: this afternoon.
Example: I'm going to sleep now and this arvo we'll go to the club.
Turn it up
- Meaning: stop what your saying or doing as its not right
Example: Turn it up, you're making it worse.
You are a galah
- Meaning: loud, rudely behaved person.
Example: Keep quiet you big galah.
You dirty grub
- Meaning: dirty eater or dirty child.
Example: You dirty grub. Go change your clothes.
You little beauty, that's beaut, you bewdy
- Meaning: excited approval, something has gone really well.
Example: You little beauty. I won the lottery. Reply - That's beaut mate.
- Meaning: your turn to buy the drinks
Example: Bill, it's your shout.