Ham Burger!! I knew that many of you are watering your mouth after looking at the first word in this page! Yes, today we are going to discuss on the world’s most favourite, Ham Burgers. You all might have tasted and prepared ham burgers of your own style or the local style that belongs to the region or locality where you live. Do you know about Aussie Burgers!? If no, then today’s recipe is for you. Even if you have tasted Aussie ham burgers earlier, just go through our post and try the recipe, which is mentioned clearly with right measurements and especially the original Recipe makes you feel the Austrlain cultural cuisine and would say, ‘Awee! What a great Aussie Style Burger”.
The main challenge to consider while preparing Aussie style ham burger is to keep it compact as much as you can so that the stuffing’s and fillings do not drop out, allowing you to eat the burger peacefully without any annoyances. The main joy while eating burger lies in the fillings and layers we keep in between the bread. If you are up in the challenge, then you are going to be delighted by the yummy combination of flavors that is an Aussie style Ham Burger.
What is a traditional Australian Ham Burger?
Australians are really particular about their toppings and stuffing’s in any type of Aussie style burger. Really Particular means ‘Really Particular’! In fact, they made their traditional Australian ham burgers so special and typical Aussie style with different combination of flavors unlike any other burgers you have ever tasted. Let us know what those typical toppings that are loaded in between the patties to make it a traditional and a good Australian burger. Here are the list of toppings for a traditional Australian Ham Burger.
- Lettuce, tomato, and cheddar cheese
- Onions, bacon, and a chili mayo sauce
- A runny fried egg
- Grilled pineapple- Are you doubting on grilled pine apple. But believe me, grilled pineapple toppings top the list of Aussie style burgers
- Pickled Beets
Actually even I was wondered about wrapping up the burger with these toppings but it turned out very well after trying and we really enjoy the flavors when we wrap our mouths with this delicious six-inch tower Australian Ham Burger.
Meat & Livestock Australia’s Catherine Goulding says, “If you ever wanted a taste of Australia, the Great Aussie Lamb Burger is 100 percent Aussie in every bite,” In Australia a good loaded burger is well-known as ‘a burger with the lot’.
Tip: Follow this simple tip to prepare a sky high and stable stacked burger! There is no any official way to assemble to stuffing’s and fillings in between the two patties of a burger but to make a great Aussie Ham Burger, just keep the salad at the bottom, the ham in the middle and the fried egg on top.
Instructions to make Traditional Australian Ham Burger
Try out this delicious natural Australian Ham Burger recipe suggested by the experts done in a classic style with ham, pine apple, fried eggs, beets, etc.
Preparation Time: 25-30 minutes
Cook Time: 15-20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 4 Burgers
Course: Dinner/ Snack
Servings: 4 persons
Ingredients to make Burger
- 1 sweet onion, sliced into thick rings
- 4 pineapple rings, patted dry
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 eggs
- ¾ c pickled beets, drained, sliced, and patted dry
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 4 Certified Angus Beef ® brand hamburger patties (There is no strict rule of using Angus branded Beef, if you do not get this brand, you can use any kind of market available branded ham burgers)
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, sliced
- 4 lettuce leaves, washed and patted dry
- 4 hamburger buns
Ingredients to make Chilli Mayo Sauce
- ¼ c ketchup
- ¼ c mayonnaise
- 1 tsp hot sauce (Sriracha or your favorite)
Steps to prepare Ham Burgers
- Take a small bowl and put the sauces such as mayonnaise, tomato ketch up, and hot sauce into it. Mix it well using a spatula and keep it aside.
- Keep your grill neat and clean and preheat it on medium heat
- Now keep a skillet (a frying pan) and heat it to medium heat. Once the frying pan is hot, fry your bacon or ham meat on medium heat until the meat is properly cooked, becomes soft and tender. Then transfer the bacon meat into a paper towel lined plate from the skillet.
- Take a hot bacon grease and crack four eggs into it. Fry the eggs and make sure the whites in the egg are cooked until your preferred done-ness. Remove the fried eggs from the pan.
- Now it is time to place our burger patties on the pre-heated grill. Allow each burger to cook for 5-7 minutes on both sides (flipping the sides in between) until firm and cooked properly to your desired texture and color.
- The cooking time of burgers actually depends on the heat of the grill and thickness of the burger. If you are using the packed burgers, just follow the package instructions at the back side of the package.
- Once the burgers are cooked, remove them from the grill and let it rest to 3-4 minutes and covered with aluminium foil.
- The most important and interesting step of preparing burgers is arrived. That is ‘constructing burgers by layering the ingredients’. Layer the flavoured ingredients such as lettuce, beets, pineapple, tomato, and onion on one side of the bun and the ham burger patty follows, and continue layering with grilled ham meat, cheese, and finally with fried egg. Noe cover off everything with the help of another bun upside down. Make sure to apply or slather the second bun with chilli mayo. Chilli Mayo enhances the taste of the burger and makes you feel heavenly.
- Make your jaws in the mouth ready to bite this epic tower and enjoy the delicious burger.
Here is another classic method of preparing Australian burgers in simple and easy way.
- 400g plant-based mince, or cheap beef mince
- 4 slices tasty cheese
- 2 slices tinned pineapple
- 4 thick rashers of bacon, halved
- 4 eggs
- salt and pepper, to season
- 1 whole cooked small beetroot, sliced, or 4 slices tinned beetroot
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced into rings
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 roma tomato, thinly sliced into rounds
- ¼ cup mayonnaise, to serve
- ¼ cup barbecue sauce, to serve
Step-1: Firstly, make the mince into four equal portions and season with pepper and salt. After seasoning, roll them into small balls without giving much pressure. A light pressure is enough to make them flattened and thin patties, about 1cm thick in diameter. They might look larger than your regular burger buns but do not worry, they get shrink after cooking. Rest the patties in the freezer for about ten to fifteen minutes.
Step-2: This is a kind of preparation step, which you can also keep it ready before you start making burgers. Slice the pineapple horizontally into half in order to create thin rings. To remove excess water and moisture, transfer the beetroot and pineapple on to a piece of absorbent paper. Absorbent paper works well in removing excess water.
Step-3: On medium heat or flame, heat a frying pan (skillet) or hot plate, add required amount of olive oil. Get the pineapple rings and fry them for a couple of minutes flipping both sides until they turn brown. Dish out the fried pineapple rings and add bacon. Cook bacon until it is cooked nicely or until it turns brown. Remove the fried cooked bacon from the pan and add the urger patties and let it cook for three to four minutes on each side.
Step-4: Keep the ready by slicing them into half or cut-side down. Put these buns directly on the hot plate or frying pan until toasted. It might take three to four minutes until it gets toasted.
Step-5: Bring the eggs into picture. Fry the eggs for about four to five minutes over medium flame until the white part is set and the yolk still looks runny.
Step-6: Slather a little mayonnaise to the base of another bun. Add lettuce and any other green salads before you place the burger patty on to the bun. Now cover the burger patty with bacon, beets, tomato, pineapple, egg, and finally with barbeque sauce. Lock the top of the bun with a skewer. Serve immediately as hot. Yummy delicious Australian Burger with the lot is ready to melt in your mouth.
Tip: Whatever the recipe or preparation method you follow, keep this small but very helpful tip in handy i.e. before you start layering with lettuce, beets, tomato, etc. spread the bun bases with butter, which helps to keep or assemble the fillings together and compactly.
Australians really enjoy these burgers in their dinners. Even if you are out of Australia and you like the components, then go ahead with our simple and easily understandable instructions and enjoy the great Aussie style hamburger and regular burgers.
In fact Aussies grew up with these traditional and cultural cuisine dish either prepared at home or from a milk bar. Mostly, Aussies would love to add potato scallops as a side dish while enjoying burgers. Also the pickled beets are very important to include in this awesome recipe as it adds a different flavour to the burger. Make sure to pick up sweet pickled beets for making Aussie style burgers.
I would like to include some details that are very helpful when you are making your own burger patties. Hopefully you will find it even simpler.
1 lb. ground beef, 85% fat, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
In a medium bowl, take ground beef and mix together with salt, and pepper for seasoning. Divide the mixture into small four equal portions. Shape each portion into a 3 – 4 inch patty. Set the patties aside.
Now if you like to grill then go ahead along with onions and pineapple rings or else you can grill by skewing the onions through its sides to hold the rings together. Grill them until they turn some nice brown color or until they get some good grill marks. Brush the slices of onions and pineapple rings in between to get it grilled properly.
About the common and magical ingredients used in the Australian Ham Burger recipe
Your each and every bite of Australian Ham Burger is worthy to take since each bite offers a perfect combination of fresh, meaty, sweet, tangy, and creamy flavoured taste. For Example:
As I already told you, the pickled beets add that sweet and tangy flavour together just like sweet cucumber pickle.
The cheddar cheese is like king among all ingredients as it adds rich creamy texture and look to our sky-high burger while egg and mayonnaise adds additional layers of creamy flavors. Also the beets flavour perfectly blends with the pineapple rings and cut through the rich flavors of meat and bacon.
The flavour of chilli mayo is enough to add a spice touch to the burger and finally let us not forget to talk about the bacon’s magical flavour, which adds crunchiness and saltiness to the burger and serves as a best supporting flavour in the sea of toppings and creamy goodness.
Australian Ham Burger is worth to try out and hinge-up your jaw to enjoy the taste ypou ever had from any burger from any locality. Happy cooking!